If you are looking for birth or postpartum doula care, contact us today.
Call or text: 503.854.9329
Portland New Family Fund Welcomes You
Empowered Families. Strong Communities.
To provide financial assistance to low-income parents for birth doulas, postpartum doulas and newborn lactation/feeding services.
To preserve doula care as a sustainable business, we fairly compensate birth professionals as part of our equity model.
We believe the health of new and expanding families should be a top priority in the U.S. Our vision is to see all new parents have the resources they need to grow their family with enough support to thrive physically, emotionally and mentally.
Portland New Family Fund is a 501c3 nonprofit organization. All donations are tax deductible. EIN: 88-1656238
What We Do
Portland New Family Fund provides birth doulas, postpartum doulas and Lactation Consulting to low-income families. Portland New Family Fund pays doulas and Lactation Consultants (IBCLCs) a living wage/compensation to provide these services to families.
WHY DOULA CARE?
There’s a health crisis in the US for moms/birthing parents and babies.
The US has one of the worst maternity care health outcomes of all wealthy countries.
Study after study shows doula care improves outcomes significantly, particularly for marginalized families.
BIPOC parents are disproportionately affected by preventable poor health outcomes. Black parents have the worst outcomes.
Birth and postpartum doula care improves outcomes IMMEDIATELY for the families who have access to it.
Spreading Awareness for Perinatal Support
As doulas, birth educators and perinatal activists, we at Portland New Family Fund (PNFF) know that the scientific and common sense evidence for birth and postpartum support is on our side. However, there is still a large portion of our community - medical care providers, families, governmental systems, private healthcare insurance companies and hospital systems that are not yet educated about what doula care is and how birth/postpartum doula care and lactation care can infinitely improve the horrendous outcomes for U.S. families, particularly vulnerable populations - while also lowering healthcare costs. This is changing slowly through the incredible work of many birth activist individuals and organizations who care about moms/parents and babies. At PNFF part of our goal in all our programs is to spread awareness of doula and lactation support to the Portland community through our partnerships, events, grants and marketing efforts. We envision a world where all families know about and have fair/equal access to this lifesaving education and care through our healthcare systems.
WHAT CLIENTS DO WE SERVE?
We partner with local nonprofits and careproviders who serve at risk clients including pregnant youth, low income families and families affected by systemic and racial injustice.
WHAT DOULAS AND IBCLCs SERVE OUR CLIENTS?
We have partnered with local doula agencies as well as independent care providers who provide doulas and IBCLCs for our clients.
We hold annual specialized trainings so the birth professionals who work with our clients are trauma informed, culturally sensitive and well trained on working with resilient populations that are systemically marginalized.
Please go to Our Partners page to see who we partner with.
Equity at PNFF
At PNFF we believe in a community of mutual care and respect. We recognize that addressing equity is an ongoing journey, and we pledge to remain steadfast in our efforts to build a more just and equitable world. We encourage our stakeholders, supporters, and community members to join us in this important mission, as we firmly believe that only through collective action can we achieve lasting and transformative change.Together, we can build a future where equity is not just an aspiration but a lived reality for all.
At Portland New Family Fund, we are committed to advancing racial equity and dismantling systemic and internalized racism in all aspects of our work. We firmly believe that diversity, inclusion, and racial justice are essential values that drive positive change in our society. Our organization stands united in the pursuit of equity and justice for all, regardless of race, ethnicity, or background.
1. Inclusivity: We embrace diversity and actively foster an inclusive environment where everyone feels welcome, valued, and respected. We strive to create a safe space for open dialogue, where individuals from all racial and ethnic backgrounds can contribute their unique perspectives.
2. Equity-Centered Programs: We design and implement programs and initiatives that recognize and address the historical and structural inequities faced by marginalized communities. Our goal is to ensure that our services and resources are accessible and beneficial to all, with a particular focus on empowering communities disproportionately affected by racial disparities.
3. Representation and Leadership: We are dedicated to increasing the representation of individuals from diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds at all levels of our organization, including leadership positions. We believe that diverse leadership enriches our decision-making processes and enables us to better serve the communities we support. Our Board, Staff and Volunteers reflect the racial identities of the families we serve. Our Board, Staff and Volunteers have the lived experiences of the families we serve.
4. Education and Awareness: We continually educate ourselves, our staff, and our stakeholders on the impact of systemic racism and racial biases. We actively seek to challenge these prejudices and cultivate a culture of empathy, understanding, and solidarity. Collaboration: We actively seek out partnerships and collaborations with organizations and community leaders committed to racial equity and social justice. By working together, we can leverage our collective strengths to effect meaningful and sustainable change.
5. Evaluation and Accountability: We regularly assess our practices and policies through an equity lens to identify areas of improvement. We hold ourselves accountable to our commitment to racial equity and strive to learn from our mistakes, make amends, and continually evolve. We invite any community members who have feedback on our practices and interactions to call us in for a conversation of collaboration and repair when necessary.
At Portland New Family Fund, we are dedicated to promoting LGBTQ+ equity and fostering a society where all individuals, regardless of sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression, can thrive and live authentically without fear of discrimination or prejudice. We firmly believe that diversity, inclusion, and LGBTQ+ rights are fundamental principles that drive positive change in our communities. Our organization stands united in the pursuit of LGBTQ+ equality and social justice.
1. Inclusivity: We celebrate and embrace the rich diversity of LGBTQ+ identities and experiences. Our organization is committed to creating an inclusive and affirming environment where all LGBTQ+ individuals feel welcomed, respected, and empowered to be their authentic selves.
2. Advocacy and Support: We actively advocate for the rights and well-being of LGBTQ+ individuals. Our programs and services are designed to address the unique challenges faced by LGBTQ+ communities, and we work tirelessly to support and uplift those who have been marginalized due to their sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression.
3. Safe Spaces: We strive to provide safe spaces, both physically and virtually, where LGBTQ+ individuals can access resources, support, and community. These spaces are free from discrimination, harassment, and violence, promoting a sense of belonging and acceptance.
4. Education and Awareness: We are committed to promoting understanding and awareness of LGBTQ+ issues within our organization and the broader community. We believe that education is a powerful tool in dismantling prejudice and fostering empathy and solidarity.
5. Representation and Leadership: We actively seek to increase the representation of LGBTQ+ individuals in leadership positions within our organization and in the broader social and political landscape. We believe that diverse LGBTQ+ leadership is crucial in advocating for and shaping policies that promote equity and justice.
6. Collaboration: We collaborate with LGBTQ+ organizations, activists, and allies to amplify our collective impact. By working together, we can advocate for systemic change, challenge discriminatory practices, and create a more inclusive and affirming society for all.